Spaghetti & Meatballs
For the Pasta:
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) Lighthouse Pasta Tipo “00” Plain Flour - Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Egg yolks
For the Meatballs & Sauce:
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 570g jar tomato, onion & basil chunky sauce
For the Pasta:
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl or on a clean chopping board or bench top. Make a well in the centre. Place the eggs, yolks and oil in the well and beat the eggs with a fork, gradually incorporating the flour in from the sides.
2. Bring together with your hands and knead to form a dough, if the mix is too dry, add water a teaspoon at a time until the dough comes together. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to rest.
3. Cut the dough into four pieces and shape as desired. (See our guide to cutting pasta shapes here)
4. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water for 3-5 minutes depending on thickness of pasta.
For the Meatballs and Sauce:
1. Combine mince, egg, cheese, onion and basil. Season and roll into balls.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook half the meatballs for 4-5 minutes. Remove and repeat.
3. Return the meatballs to the pan and pour over sauce. Cover, cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes until cooked through.
4. Spoon over meatballs and sauce. Serve with basil leaves.