- 1 x 600g bread mix sachet
- 350ml lukewarm water
- 1 x 6g yeast sachet
1. Place bread mix and yeast in a large bowl. Add lukewarm water and mix with a fork to form a dough, mix further with hands to bring the dough together.
2. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, knead for 8-10 minutes (applying extra flour to prevent the dough sticking) until the dough is soft and elastic.
3. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth then leave in a warm place until dough doubles in size (approximately 45 minutes).
4. Preheat oven to 220° (200° fan forced).
5. Turn out dough onto a well floured surface and knead lightly for 1 minute. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces (approximately 315g). Roll the dough pieces into long sausage shapes, to the length of your baking tray. Place onto lined baking tray, cover with a clean damp cloth then leave in a warm place until dough doubles in size again (approximately 30 minutes). During the second proofing French Sticks may join if placed too closely together on the baking tray. These can be pulled apart after cooking. Alternatively cook in two batches to ensure full crust coverage.
6. Brush with milk or beaten egg and garnish with sesame or poppy seeds. Place baking tray into the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Once French sticks are baked, remove from baking tray and place onto a wire rack. Allow to cool before slicing.