Apple Cake with Brandy Butterscotch Sauce
- 1 cup (150g) Lighthouse Cake, Sponge & Steamed Bun Flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup (80g) apricot jam, warmed
Brandy Butterscotch Sauce
- ½ cup (50g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (63 ml) thickened cream
- 50g (2 ½ tbsp.) butter
- 1 tbsp. brandy
Preheat oven to 160˚C or 140˚C for fan forced. Lightly grease and line two loaf tins.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and milk in and beat for 1 more minute. Fold in sifted flour and mix gently until fully combined.
Spoon mixture into loaf tins. Cut apple halves into thin slices and arrange on top of the cake mixture. Brush with warmed apricot jam and bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir gently until sugar dissolves and thickens slightly.
Serve cake warm with brandy butterscotch sauce.