Awarded world pizza champion and Australia’s foremost pizza chef, John Lanzafame (www.lanzafame.com.au) shares with us some of his favourite pizza recipes, all from his cook book Pizza modo mio (pizza my style). The cookbook (available in all book stores) has a great mix of old and new, with John paying homage to the pizza chefs that came before him with recipes like the classic margherita. He also mixes it up a bit with some delicious original recipes. For anyone with a love for pizza, it’s well worth the buy!!
Join the BakeMyOwn facebook page and share your results!
Double-smoked ham pizza recipe
Makes one 30cm pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 150g small field mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
- Coarse semolina, for dusting
- 1 pizza dough ball (View the Pizza Dough Recipe)
- Good quality pizza sauce, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 75g grated mozzarella cheese
- 70g torn double-smoked ham
- 30g taleggio cheese
How to make the pizza …
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over high heat, add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
2. Meanwhile, put the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until reduced by two-thirds. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Place a pizza stone or heavy-based oven tray in the oven and preheat to 250c.
4. Lightly dust your workbench with semolina, then roll out the dough to about 30cm round, place on a pizza tray and prick all over with a fork.
5. Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza base (View the Pizza Base Recipe) then scatter with parsley, mozzarella, mushrooms and ham in that order. Tear the taleggio into small pieces and scatter of the top, then place the pizza on preheated stone or tray and bake for 5-6 minutes, or until the base in golden and crisp.
6. Remove from the oven, drizzle with the reduced balsamic vinegar and serve.
Source: Pizza modo mio John Lanzafame